It’s 11 days into the new year and I have discovered that I am an amazing chef. No, really, I’m seriously so good at this kitchen thing… Okay, I’m playing but I am getting pretty good at it.
Since moving to Buffalo we have cut WAY back on going out (help me, I’m poor), and so I have been cooking a lot since we got here. I used to absolutely loathe cooking, like, I would go months without cooking a meal because I thought it was boring, and going to a restaurant is easy, fun, and delicious. But since I met my fiancé I found that cooking with a partner or for an appreciative partner is actually pretty fun.
We love to eat, so it was pretty natural when we started cooking together. It was a fun date night that allowed us to save money – and for me to stay in sweatpants (yasss). This Christmas I got my boo a cast iron pan. We had been talking about it for a while and when he opened it – he was so excited and we immediately started talking about what we can cook in it.
Now, let me admit – I didn’t do a ton of research on how to care for a cast iron pan and was a little (a lot) intimidated by the work you have to put in to keep it in good condition. Luckily for me, my boo is super obsessed with researching and learning all about it so… he does the hard stuff and I just cook. Seriously, best relationship EVER!
I had been scrolling Pinterest for cast iron dinner ideas and when we got home hungry and tired from the grocery store last night I knew exactly what to make! Spinach & Artichoke skillet pizza. You can find the original recipe here. I followed it pretty much to a T, just turned down the temperature after preheat.
This meal is perfect for a night in with someone you love, and we ate ours with pre-made arancini from Wegmans. I hope you try this recipe and let me know what you think. Also, leave some love to Jennifer over at Seasons and Suppers since it’s her recipe!
What You’ll Need:
- Cast iron Pan (I used 10″ pan – increase ingredients for larger pans)
- 1 lb. Pizza dough (I used 1 pack of pre-made Pillsbury pizza crust)
- 2/3 c. Ricotta Cheese
- 2/3 c. Shred Mozzarella
- 2 clove Garlic (pressed or minced)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 can Artichoke hearts (I only used 1/2 the can)
- 1.5 c. Fresh Spinach
- Parmesan cheese (I just used the ‘sprinkle’ kind but if you have fresh – use that!)
Make that Pizza!
- Place your cold cast iron pan in oven and preheat to 500°
- Leave in for about 5 min after you’re preheated
- In a bowl mix together your Ricotta, Mozzarella, Olive Oil, Garlic, S & P and set aside.
- Once your pan is preheated pull it out and put your pizza dough in (careful, that shit is hot!)
- Make sure your dough is evenly distributed in pan.
- Let cook for 2-3 minutes
- After 2-3 minutes pull out your pizza and add the cheese mixture – Turn oven down to 425°
- back into the oven it goes for 5 minutes
- After your cheese has cooked for 5 minutes pull out your pizza once again and add your artichoke hearts and spinach.
- Back in for 7-10 minutes
- Now your pizza is finished so sprinkle some parmesan on that shit, pour a glass of wine (you deserve it, cooking is hard), and ENJOY!
So, did you try the recipe? Love it, hate it? Try it another way – you can also easily substitute anything in this recipe to make the pizza of your dreams… Leave me some love and go get your cast iron pans to make some damn good pizza.